The legacy of love blog

What happens to the children if a common law couple dies and grandparents are in different provinces?

question of the week Mar 08, 2018

It depends if the person died with out making a will that has Guardianship provisions in it. With a will the Guardian listed can act. Without a will, the family members would need to apply to court and have a Justice look at the situation and choose who would be the Guardian.

In Alberta a person can become a guardian of a child by any of the following three ways:

  • A parent will automatically become a guardian by operation of law provided that they knew about the pregnancy or birth of the...
Continue reading...

phone: +1 (780) 458-8228
fax: +1 (780) 930-1506

200 Carnegie Drive, Suite 101, St. Albert, Alberta, T8N 5A8
Get Directions


Ready to protect
your loved ones?

Sign up and we'll help you make plans that protect the people you care about most.